It's an app where files and folders are selected as part of a backup process. Folders can be selected, in which case the entire folder contents would be used. In the case of individual files (or just a few) selected in any given folder, only info for those specific files are required. The app should be capable of running on a basic (possibly ancient) machine, so any speed improvements are a bonus.

I appreciate all the responses - they are helpful and useful, but you seem a bit over protective of rev for some bizarre reason - I can't think why anyone would argue against having a concise one line function call for something this basic.

Looking at how this thread turned out from a question where the answer appears to be 'No' now makes me think that the detailed files isn't so long winded after all :-)

This link may help you to relax a bit ;-)

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/tickle.htm

Have fun,

JC

Richard Gaskin wrote:
John Craig wrote:
Maybe I should have said 'another lengthy function call per line'...
I already use a cached file list, but if I hit a folder with thousands of files in it and only need the size of 1 file in that particular folder, it seems like wasted CPU time to pull the entire folder contents.

Maybe, and maybe not. I thought I'd read a recent post from you where you'd said you needed this info for thousands of files across multiple directories, no?

If so, while the overhead of the function call is modest for a single file (and might be made faster with your Bugzilla request for a one-liner -- what's that BZ #?), if you need to do this for every file in a directory then obtaining all of that info in one call would seem rather ideal, yes?

Can you tell us a bit more about this circumstance in which you need to obtain this information for thousands of file in a directory, but not all at once, and in a context in which the roughly quarter of a millisecond even my long version takes would be prohibitive?