I thought nodetool snapshot writes the snapshot locally, requiring 2x of
expensive storage allocation 24x7 (vs. cheap storage allocation of a ebs
snapshot).  By that I mean EBS allocation is GB allocated per month costs at
one rate, and EBS snapshots are delta compressed copies to S3.

Can you point the snapshot to an external filesystem?

will

--
Will Oberman
Civic Science, Inc.