I haven't done backups yet, so I don't know where the data is written.  Is
it where the nodetool is run from?  Or local to the instance running
cassandra (and there, local to the data directory?).  I assumed it was the
latter (not finding docs on that yet), and that would require 2x storage
allocated on that instance for 1x data (to have room for the snapshot).  If
its the former, then yes, I'd totally run the command from an ephemeral
store, and backup to S3.

will

--
Will Oberman