> Now that I'm past the problems of IP addresses changing ... I am onto the
> idea of storage.  Initially I had though that for each cassandra instance, I
> should have an EBS volume to store all the cassandra data / information.
> Now I'm starting to wonder if this is duplication and not necessary.  If an
> instance dies, I loose anything that's not attached to EBS.  However, if the
> cassandra cluster is healthy ... this shouldn't be an issue ... Is this a
> correct assumption?

Correct.  Why not use EBS backed instances?  The ability to reboot comes in
handy.  I have a cluster of 6 nodes, each with an EBS drive of data (EBS
drives can scale, if you need them to - not advised).  Bootstrapping has
always worked better for me than doing any sort of data snapshotting,
allowing nodes to come in and out with proper token management.  You can
attach S3 buckets as drives as well...

--
Frank LoVecchio
isidorey.com | facebook.com/franklovecchio | franklovecchio.com