Sasha,

You might also check out http://coreyhulen.org/category/cassandra/ for speed
tests done by Corey Hulan on different disk configurations (both inside ec2
and on real hw).

If you write to the ephermeral storage on an EC2 instance, there is no
additional cost for the data written.  Mostly similarly with EBS.  In EBS
you pay for the disk size you allocate.  There's a tiny additional charge
for IO (currently $0.10 per 1M io requests).

HTH,

Dave Viner