The query is just:

select * from table1;

My understanding was that 'lazy=false' is the default.  Regardless of
whether I set 'lazy=true' or explicitly set 'lazy=false'  in my jdbc driver
settings then I see the same behavior:

Terminating due to java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

It wasn't clear to me in the documentation, but I thought that off heap
memory is used unless you explicitly tell ignite to use on heap caching.  Am
I confusing two different memory usages?

I understand that a 'select *...' is not going to be a practical query in
most cases and won't take advantage of any indexing, but the purpose of my
asking is to understand how Ignite utilizes its memory when responding to
queries.  Even if I'm not trying to pull back a full result set, I can still
think of lots of situations where the query results (especially with
concurrent queries) will exceed the available heap space.

I'm happy to share additional configuration information that will help and I
really appreciate any feedback.  I have to believe that there is a way to
deal with this problem (probably something simple) that I'm just missing.