How much memory does your machine have?
What kind of disk is in there?

Have you looked at the memory config for the neo4j db?

What kind of scheduler do you use (please try deadline or as)?
Can you please share the config and JVM info that is output at the head of
graphdb/messages.log ?

I'll attach some things we do to improve performance:

        • Linux: scheduler used (cat /sys/block/*/queue/scheduler)

        • Disk
                • Output from bonnie++ or other disk performance tool
                        • Please also run the write-test suite from here:
http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Linux_Performance_Guide
        • Limits:
                • Memory
                • Disk space, Used Swap
                • ulimit -a (most probably open files should be >> 10k)
sysctl fs.file-max
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-increase-the-maximum-number-of-open-files
                • encrypted fs hurts df -T /path/to/database/directory