Ok I managed to find a workaround and got it working. What I did was
monkeypatch spark.components.gridClasses/GridColumnHeaderView and then
changed the code to

public static var dpiScaleFactor:Number = 1;

    public function containsMouseEvent(event:MouseEvent):Boolean

    {

        const eventStageX:Number = event.stageX;

        const eventStageY:Number = event.stageY;

        const origin:Point = localToGlobal(zeroPoint);

        origin.x += horizontalScrollPosition;

        if (layoutDirection == LayoutDirection.RTL)

            origin.x -= width;

        origin.y += verticalScrollPosition;

        return (eventStageX >= origin.x) && (eventStageY >= origin.y) &&

            (eventStageX < (origin.x + (width*dpiScaleFactor))) &&
(eventStageY < (origin.y + height));

    }

and in my application on preinitialize I do

GridColumnHeaderView.dpiScaleFactor = (runtimeDPI/applicationDPI);

This is working fine for me on the device now and fixes the issue, but I'm
sure someone with a deeper knowledge of the SDK can take a look for a
better fix?