-1 on "Groovy Stars" / +1 on the overall concept.

Stars makes me think of (Super) Mario, and apart from that it is sounds so over the top. I don't think many people outside of the Groovy community know the logo so well, that they realize it has an (irregular) star in the background (I myself always perceived the "star" more like a triangle approximation of a human figure).

I would prefer a more serious name (to avoid the toy/script language association), and for a language that is so close to Java, either the initally suggested "Groovy Champion" seems a good choice, or maybe something even more low key, like "Groovy Major Contributor 2018"...

Or for something with a bit more pep "Groovy Vanguard Developer / Contributor 2018" or "Groovy Crack 2018".

Contrary to Java Champions, I would suggest tying it to a specific year: That way people who no longer are Groovy contributors do not carry the title forever (the Russian guy who is now working on Kotlin comes to mind), and on the other hand some people could get the title several years in a row, as a sign of continued gratitude.

Cheers,
mg