The Groovy Star / Champion is an award beyond Apache Groovy itself, and
spans plenty other projects that can be quite remote from Groovy, apart
from the fact they do use Groovy.
So those stars/champions should span also the wider ecosystem, even if they
haven't contributed otherwise in any way to the Groovy project itself
(code, documentation, promotion, bug reports, help on the lists, etc.)
My sentiment is that committer and PMC membership are for those who
contribute directly to the Apache Groovy project itself (even if not in
code form).
But to please the board, since the award bears the name of Apache Groovy,
and even if its the champions themselves who elect new members, we should
give the PMC a special vote, like a veto capability, to say yes or no, the
PMC is happy to have this person get that Groovy award.

--
Guillaume Laforge