> Or for something with a bit more pep "Groovy Vanguard Developer /
> Contributor 2018" or "Groovy Crack 2018".
>
> Contrary to Java Champions, I would suggest tying it to a specific year:

I like the idea of having it associated with a year, but it doesn't have
to. Explanation below.

> That way people who no longer are Groovy contributors do not carry the
> title forever (the Russian guy who is now working on Kotlin comes to mind)

His name is Alex Tkachman, and while he's not involved in the language
anymore, he's still one of the biggest contributors to Groovy. Most of the
performance improvements in the "legacy" (non indy) dynamic runtime of
Groovy were from him and still active. He was also source of inspiration
for the static compiler (Groovy++). I think he deserves the title more than
lots of us. And I think we shouldn't go into the "he's gone to competition"
route. Languages evolve, Kotlin is a very nice language, that took
inspiration from us as well as others, and we have lots of things to learn
from it too.

> , and on the other hand some people could get the title several years in a
> row, as a sign of continued gratitude.

If they do, they would be good candidates for the PMC.