Le 23/02/2018 à 22:12, Kent West a écrit :
On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:38 PM, Kent West <we...@acu.edu> wrote:

It seems I can serve index.html OR index.php, but not both at the same
time (depending on the URL entered into the web-browser's URL bar).

Surely I'm not the only person to ever want to do this? Surely this is not
that difficult of a task?

It is not. Just need to learn more: set-up and monitor a server is not
a birth gift but it's possible by yourself (see below).

cp /etc/wordpress/config-sitename.org /etc/wordpress/
config-beta.sitename.orgIs it the real address in your system tree ?

Depending your system, those public files should be
in /var/www/ or /srv/www or something like this.
/etc/ is reserved to all conf files.

But when I go any deeper than the front page, it redirects back to
index.html, just like it did when I did the much simpler "index1.php"
method earlier. Bummer.

Commenting all rewrite rules is a good test, but it's probably better
to try this 1st:
Modify your WP conf here -> https://domain.tld/wp-admin/options-general.php
  { WordPress Address (URL), Site Address (URL) }¹
Beside of it, it can need 24-48h to complete DNS propagation around
the world.

It should be useful to read the documentation for your OS and
additional software that you could use like Apache².
About security, minimum is to known how to make a good configuration
with iptables, ssh³, fail2ban⁴, how to monitor your server and of
course, harden an operating system⁵.

WP is one of the most "attacked" CMS. It can be a good practice to add
additional access control on the admin part (why not starting with
mod_auth_basic⁶?). It's also probably good to learn and use a tool
like "Jetpack"⁷.

¹ https://codex.wordpress.org/Settings_General_Screen
² and secure it. With ssl directives but also others
  https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/
  https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/mod/quickreference.html
³ https://www.ssi.gouv.fr/uploads/2015/09/NT_OpenSSH_en.pdf
  (a little bit out-dated but a very good start)
⁴ https://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/MANUAL_0_8
⁵ example for CentOS7 https://highon.coffee/blog/security-harden-centos-7/https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/en/howto/auth.html

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/en/mod/mod_authn_core.html#authtypehttps://wordpress.org/plugins/jetpack/

humble regards,