On Thu, 2023-11-02 at 11:21 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Main, google and yahoo mail tabs seem to be taking the most CPU and memory,
> 20% 618MB, 0.6% 411MG and 0.18% 159MB .
> The latter two occasionally flicker to about 20% CPU.
> No smoking gun.

It's well to remember that it can be a cumulative problem.  Not always
one thing gone bad, but a bunch of things making life difficult.

Sometimes it's the silliest of things that make a system drag.  In my
case, I've found the live chat on a youtube stream to be a big CPU hog.
It doesn't appear to be doing much, but there's probably some
inefficiency in how they did it.  And if your PC has to start paging to
deal with it, that can really bring a system to its knees.

Dynamic pages that update themselves are going to be the worst.
Whether that being status changes, or continually loading advertising.
They're not always written well, make assumptions that the entire
computer is at their disposal, that all users have a super fast CPU and
infinite RAM, and often entail a large conglomeration of scripts.  You
may find a script blocker, or advert blocker, makes a huge difference
to using such sites.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.102.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Oct 17 15:42:21 UTC 2023 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.