On Thu, 23 Nov 2023, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 2:21?PM Michael Hennebry
<henne...@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

By now, I am fairly sure that the reason firefox freezes
on me is neither a lack of memory nor a lack of CPU.
My inference is that it is waiting for something.
How do I discover what?

I would investigate the virtual memory system. That's based on your
reply to Roger Heflin, and the 8GB of RAM and no swap file. Maybe

You mean this:
Michael Hennebry wrote (some whitespace deleted):
$ free -h
          total        used        free      shared  buff/cache available
Mem:      7.7Gi       4.1Gi       882Mi       572Mi       2.7Gi 2.7Gi
Swap:     7.7Gi        98Mi       7.6Gi
$ I have no swap partition.
?
I'd have thought 882Mi free and 2.7Gi available would be good.
BTW I have a lot of tabs, but not a lot of videos.
Mostly my tabs are things to read.

start with `vm.overcommit_memory = 2` in `/etc/sysctl.conf`. The 2
says, "say no if we don't have the memory".

From the persistence of the belief that I am running out of memory,
I infer one of two scenarios is assumed:
1: firefox is waiting on memory is was told it has, but might never get.
2: firefox has been told memory is unavailable,
but does not do anything sensible with that information.
The output from free would seem to preclude both scenarios.

What is the state of a process that is waiting on commited,
but unavailable, memory?

--
Michael   henne...@mail.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
"I was just thinking about the life of a pumpkin.  Grow up in the sun,