On 06/17/2013 07:41 PM, lee wrote:
Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us> writes:

As long as the drive itself is working, there's a way to recover the
data, although there may well not be an easy or fast way.

Imagine the power supply would fail so that I can't read logfiles
anymore.

What do I do?  Fix the hardware right away or waste a week or two trying
to find a way to read logfiles because mcelog /might/ have logged
something?

Nothing more than a strawman. If the power supply's failed completely, you don't need the logs; if it's slowly going bad, the logs might help you diagnose the issue and replace the supply before it's completely gone. And, if the computer's dead, the power supply isn't the only possibility and there are times that it's better (and cheaper) to spend a little time grovelling over the logs instead of swapping parts until it works again.