Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us> writes:

> On 06/16/2013 07:52 PM, lee wrote:
>> No, they explained what it is supposed to do and made invalid
>> assumptions.  Their point seems to be that it could be useful for
>> instances when the logged output of mcelog helps you to figure out what
>> might be wrong with your hardware.
>
> Have you considered the possibility that there can be intermittent
> errors that might or might not be hardware related and that having the
> data from mcelog available could help you decide if it is or isn't
> your hardware *before* there's a catastrophic failure?

Yes, it would require me to constantly check some logfile.  Which
logfile that is, is not even documented.  It might be /var/log/syslog
when you look at the mcelog.service file.  Lots of things are being
logged there, and I usually don't look at that unless something isn't
working.  I could make something that greps the logfile for something
mcelog might be logging, but what would I look for?  And if this is so
critically important, why is it set up in such a way that this vital
information is never seen?

--
Fedora 18