On 06/16/2013 06:44 PM, lee wrote:
Are you assuming that most ppl using Linux have fallback systems with
independent internet connections and emergency power generators standing
by that automatically take over seamlessly when something with their
used system or around it fails?

I can't speak for anybody else. However, I have both a desktop and a laptop, both using Fedora. My sister has her own computers, although they use Ubuntu. If my desktop were in doornail mode[1] and there were files that I needed on my hard drive that I needed right now, I'm sure that (with the help of a friend of mine who does my hardware work) I could get the drive hooked up to another computer long enough to get the files.

You may not have a spare computer. However, you probably have at least one friend who could help, even if you had to use a Live CD because your friend only uses Windows. As long as the drive itself is working, there's a way to recover the data, although there may well not be an easy or fast way.

[1]as in "dead as a..."