On Sun, 03 May 2015 17:33:53 +0200
Frantisek Hanzlik <fra...@hanzlici.cz> wrote:

> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 May 2015 14:04:37 +0200
> > Frantisek Hanzlik <fra...@hanzlici.cz> wrote:
> >>
> >> - (bigger harm) Why hasn't Fedora alternative (upstart/openrc)
> >> init?
> >
> > Umm, because everyone is happy with systemd? :-)
> >
> > If you want Fedora to have an alternative init, roll up your sleeves
> > and dig in, make it happen! ;-)
> >
> > :-)alternative init
> > Marko
>
> Marko thanks to Your reply, but:
> - All around perhaps are not happy, as I'm not. And perhaps all those,
> who do not have the ability to say it here.
>
> - about 'alternative init' what can you recommend to me to make this
> happen? I must say, I'm not programmer, rather user and administrator
> for several Linux/Un*x machines. But I really want somehow interest
> in this issue.

I guess the smileys I put up there didn't do their job.

My comment above was tongue-in-cheek. It is the type of the response
one gets from systemd-advocates whenever a question similar to yours
pops up on this list.

The init system is not just any old package that you can replace on
your system. Rather, it is an integral piece of gear, interwoven with
the kernel and a whole bunch of other mission-critical apps for any
Linux distro. In this sense, changing one init system for another is a
highly nontrivial task, and requires expert knowledge of all sorts of
under-the-hood stuff in Linux. There are not so many people on the
planet who have the knowledge to actually sit down and write an in-place
substitute for systemd. That is why there is no alternative for Fedora.

In other words, if you want to make an alternative init system, you need
to be somewhat like Lennart Poettering. And he is a tough act to
follow, in more ways than one... ;-)

My approach to this issue has been to learn to live with systemd, and
hope that the reasons for its existence will ultimately be of global
benefit. It's the same frame of mind one has when paying taxes ---
they're unavoidable, painful for the individual, and are supposed to
be beneficial for the progress of the community (although that's not
immediately obvious to the individual).

I do this by learning about systemd on-the-fly --- as much as I need to
get my job done, and never any more than that. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko