> OK, I still clearly do not understand how sniffer is supposed to work, and
> it does not look like am going to any time soon, even after all these
> explanations.

A signature is like:
char java.lang.String.charAt(int)

Animal sniffer compares the Java code you are writing against the
published signatures of popular Java APIs like Sun JDK 1.5, 1.6, IBM,
JRockit, etc. That's it! If this is helpful to you, use it. If you
need other functionality, animal sniffer may not be able to help you.

> identifying the troublesome jar file. I am not really sure why no-one
> recommended this to me in the first place as it effective and simple to

Uhhh Benson *did* suggest this... did you miss it??

> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> If you have to support 1.5, the easiest thing to do is eschew the use
>> of 1.6 features. Just set the compiler plugin options for source and
>> target of 1.5.

> Again, I am at a complete loss to fathom any utility in the sniffer. Maybe I

It is quite possible that your needs simply do not match the
functionality provided by Animal sniffer. There are a large number of
people who find it useful. Their needs may be different from your own.

Perhaps you can summarize in 1 sentence what problem you are trying to
solve, then various alternative solutions can be discussed.

Wayne