I did a flexmark standalone test, happy to try to integrate that.
I presume I would define my local moxia modification (after mvn clean
install) as a site plugin dependency?
Along those lines:

   <plugin>
<version>${maven.site.plugin.version}</version>
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<artifactId>doxia-module-markdown</artifactId>
<version>1.9.1-stw</version>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
</plugin>