don't hesitate to share every single concrete step, even the flexmark
standalone test: this will ease working together, ensuring we understand each
other

even before updating doxia-module-markdown with an updated version, there is a
test with a Maven site to be done with the normal Doxia, to show the result
(perhaps there is a partial failure only): this will be interesting to compare
the result against the flexmark standalone test.

then once we'll be at updating doxia-module-markdown, yes, you can override
the version used by the maven-site-plugin by setting dependencies in plugin
definition

Regards,

Hervé