Many plugins, e.g. compiler plugins, depend on other libraries, in this
case compilers. This is true for plugins such as Plexus Compiler,
AspectJ Maven, GMaven+. Usually, what a user needs to do to override the
default provided by the plugin (which is almost never exactly the
version the user wants), the user does something like:

<plugin>
  <groupId>org.acme</groupId>
  <artifactId>xy-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>1.2.3</version>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.xy</groupId>
      <artifactId>xy-compiler</artifactId>
      <version>4.5</version>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
</plugin>

While this is not so much work, I was wondering if there is any way to
make it a little bit easier for the user as a plugin developer, so she
can do this instead:

<plugin>
  <groupId>org.acme</groupId>
  <artifactId>xy-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>1.2.3</version>
  <configuration>
    <compilerVersion>4.5</compilerVersion>
  </configuration>
</plugin>

My current knowledge of the Maven Way says, this is not possible. But I
am asking anyway, just because I am curious and did not find any helpful
resources online.

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de