On Wednesday, 7. February 2024, 01:00:50 CET Alexander Kriegisch wrote:
> 3rd party parent? Are you maybe mixing up my questions about different
> topics? There is not parent POM involved here, it is about a plugin and an
> application using it.

You talk about "override by the user" which implies some kind of inheritance,
at least
for me.

> Very simple and straightforward. I even gave an
> example of what does not work for me but you say should.

So strait forward:

 <plugin>
  <groupId>org.acme</groupId>
  <artifactId>xy-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>1.2.3</version>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.xy</groupId>
      <artifactId>xy-compiler</artifactId>
      <version>${xy.compilerVersion}</version>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
 </plugin>

... somewhere in a child ...

<properties>
  <xy.compilerVersion>4.5</xy.compilerVersion>
</properties>

> So does it?

It does. If this is not, what you want, you will have to ask in a different
way, since Lasse
also understood your question the way I answered.

> If you do not know, it is OK. But if you want to help, the ball
> is in your court now. A counter-example showing me how to do what you
> suggested right would be most welcome.

Actually I don't like your tone and I get the impression that we waist each
other's time.

So I'll shut up,
Jörg