With the CLI using the keystore/truststore from NiFi you shouldn't get
an SSL handshake error at all, regardless of whether it was a command
against NiFi or NIFi Registry.

After the SSL handshake the command could still fail based on whether
the identity of the CLI has permissions to execute the command in the
target system.

For example, using NiFi's own identity to make a call against NiFi
like "nifi pg-start ..." will probably fail with an unauthorized error
unless you granted the NiFi user permission to modify components, by
default the server users only have one or two permissions like /proxy
and /controller.

Alternatively you can also pass a proxiedEntity specifying a user that
already has permission to modify components and then it should work.