Can you try editing cli.sh and near the end where it actually executes
the CLIMain, edit the line to add the -D for SSL handshake debugging
so it looks like this:

exec "${JAVA}" -cp "${CLASSPATH}" ${JAVA_OPTS:--Xms128m -Xmx256m}
-Djavax.net.debug=ssl:handshake  org.apache.nifi.toolkit.cli.CLIMain
"$@"

Then run your command and you should see all the debugging info print
out to the console. Curious to see what that shows.