At 10:51 20/01/2013 -0800, Eric Fenster wrote:

But users must not be allowed to make changes at that level [delete]; instead, they must be required, having discovered what the problem is, to solve it where it was caused. Anything else breaks the structure.

I really don't understand this rather authoritarian recommendation.

It wasn't authoritarian at all: I'm sorry if you thought it was. I wasn't telling anyone that they shouldn't add or remove formatting: of course not. I was merely pointing out that asking for a clearer display of document structure was one thing (and a good one), but that allowing changes by means of editing such a display (exactly as Word Perfect allows) would be impossible without upsetting the way OpenOffice works.

If I write something in bold and want to convert one or some words to normal type when I review my text, that's my business. Why should I not be "allowed" to change a word? And if I can do that by simply putting my cursor on a Bold code and deleting it, what great law am I violating?

Well, first - that there are no such codes.

There's no structure being broken, just editing between bold and normal.

You are limiting your discussion to local formatting. If OpenOffice did that, there would be less disagreement.

Brian Barker