At 16:42 20/01/2013 -0800, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
I agree that an equivalent means of inspecting what formatting features apply at a point in the text, and where they come from, would be extremely valuable in trouble-shooting these style-based documents. Being able to see the span of the application of a format feature (or of an applied style) would also be very useful. This is particularly important, it seems to me, because the created structures and the styles they introduce are not invertible. It is difficult to see where they are and to reverse their effects by making more formatting operations and it is conceivable that there are bugs in all of that as well.

To that extent, I tend to disagree with Brian Barker. It should be possible to manipulate the styles in rational ways, similar to what is available with the "Styles and Formatting" pop-out. This would not be by getting under the hood and pulling wires, but having a tool that accomplishes an available manipulation in a valid way.

For what it's worth, I don't see where we are disagreeing. Don't we both agree that (1) a clearer way of seeing exactly why a document is behaving in a particular way is desirable, but that (2) users modifications should continue to be carried out through a proper interface, not by trying to tinker with non-existent "tags"?

Brian Barker