I wish people who have made some of the comments actually had experience with
the Reveal Codes  function in WP.

First, for those not familiar with it, the Reveal Codes can be turned on and
off and the amount of space (number of lines of text) it consumes on the screen
is under complete control.

You have unencumbered text in one window, and text with the codes in another
-- IF you want it.

This is very different from turning on codes like paragraph markers, which are
all or nothing and litter the entire text.

Second, all this talk about styles is totally irrelevant. Styles exist quite
happily alongside the reveal codes option.

> But users must not be allowed to make changes at that level [delete];
> instead, they must be required, having discovered what the problem is, to
> solve it where it was caused.  Anything else breaks the structure.

I really don't understand this rather authoritarian recommendation.

If I write something in bold and want to convert one or some words to normal
type when I review my text, that's my business. Why should I not be "allowed"
to change a word? And if I can do that by simply putting my cursor on a Bold
code and deleting it, what great law am I violating?

There's no structure being broken, just editing between bold and normal.