George R. Marcy wrote:
I have had this program for some time. I have to admit a bit of stupidity but I paid someone at Sun or somewhere about $44. Today I was given the indication that there was an upgrade to OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 That was fine, but when I downloaded it went thru the motions, but then could not be opened and it did not remove the 3.0 that it said was the problem. I then removed the 3.0 (stupidly) and found when I looked at programs that the 3.1.1 was listed in my programs. One problem it won't open. I have reinstalled 3.0 and other than some lost files, which does not make me happy but they may be there, my question is, is it worth it to try to install 3.1.1. or should I just forget it. 3.0 does most of what I want.

Sorry to bother you if you are the wrong person, but searching for help for this good program would _almost_ make one want to go buy MS Office.

Any help you can give this old guy would be appreciated.

George Marcy
marc...@stx.rr.com
830 890 5511

I suspect that you got an incomplete uninstall. If you are using MicroSoft Windows then this is a frequent problem. Have you tried Microsoft's Wndows Installer Cleanup Utility? It's free at Windows Installer CleanUp Utility <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301> and it is designed to fix problems caused by Microsoft's un/installer software. After you have a clean uninstall, then you should be able to install 3.1.1 with no further problems.

If you are using some other operating system, then my advice may be no help. If this is the case I pass the torch to someone with knowledge of your operating system.

Incidentally, you do not ever need to pay someone for OpenOffice.org. It is free to download and use with cost from www.openoffice.org.

Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA