On 12/26/10 15:12, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:46:36 -0500
> David B Teague <davidbtea...@comporium.net> wrote:
>
> Hello David,
>
>> Foxit Reader is WINDOWS ONLY, a fact that I did not know
> Look at;
>
> <http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php>
>
> More than Windows d/l's there.
>
>> until I looked on their web site. (This annoys me greatly,
>> as I prefer to use tools that work on Linux and Windows.)
> I did try Foxit, and it loads very fast on my machine.  Sadly, it
> wouldn't print anything here (an absolute must, AFAIAC)  I didn't have
> time to examine why, but there was a complaint about 64 bit drivers on
> my (64 bit) machine.  An issue for another day, perhaps.
>
>> I have not found another reader that works on both Linux and
>> Windows and has nearly the useful features of the PDF
>> readers from Adobe and Foxit.
> Okular (KDE), evince and xpdf are obvious candidates.  IIRC, evince will
> now allow the filling in of forms, much as Adobe's reader does.  Of
> course, you may well have tried all of those and others besides.
>
>> Thanks for your reasoning about your answer.
> NP.  Everybody has different technical abilities, and without clues as
> to what those abilities might be, "baby steps" (starting close to
> familiar ground) are generally better, I find.  It soon becomes obvious
> whether it's possible to take bigger leaps.

I do not have the earlier parts of this thread, so I do not know why people
are looking for something other than Adobe Reader for Windows and Linux.
Is there a problem with your system dealing with Adobe Reader?  It is the
defacto default option.

[ actually the earlier parts of the thread are not in my
users@openoffice.org
   folder, so I cannot read those posts ]

I know that Adobe Reader shows up in the repositories for Ubuntu 10.10
and there are a number of other document viewers in Linux that can read
PDF files.  I use the default Document Viewer for my PDF reading.  Then
I use CUPS PDF printing options to create PDF files in Ubuntu/Linux and
doPDF to create PDF files in Windows.