On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 04:54:35 -0500
"webmas...@krackedpress.com" <webmas...@krackedpress.com> dijo:

>I know that Adobe Reader shows up in the repositories for Ubuntu 10.10
>and there are a number of other document viewers in Linux that can read
>PDF files.  I use the default Document Viewer for my PDF reading.  Then
>I use CUPS PDF printing options to create PDF files in Ubuntu/Linux and
>doPDF to create PDF files in Windows.

There are advantages and disadvantages:

CUPS-PDF rasterizes everything, so text cannot be searched. If that is
not an issue, then it does a generally good job, and since you "print"
to it you can create a PDF from any application that can print. The PDF
files are also small, sometimes a consideration when sending in e-mails.

Evince can open editable PDFs (PDF forms), but you cannot enter
anything in the fields. Otherwise it is fine, and it has a good export
to PS or PDF function. I frequently open large PDF files and use Evince
to export to PDF, which usually results in a much smaller PDF file.
Doing so also flattens a PDF that has transparency, which is often a
problem when printing to non-Postscript printers.

Okular (formerly KPDF) does a great job of opening PS files, and can
save as PDF. You can also enter data in the fields of an editable PDF.
It has issues with printing, however, although usually I can get what I
want if I poke at it long enough - e.g., a landscape page prints as
portrait, among other tribulations.

Adobe Reader is the best, but it is proprietary, slow to load, and
can't open PS files.

Cabaret and Foxit are also proprietary, and sometimes tricky to get
installed. I use them only if all of the above are being brats.

Check out also GSView, a rather bare-bones viewer It can't open PS
files, but does a fine job with PDFs. It uses Ghostscript for its
engine, where I believe all the other open source readers use poppler
libraries. Therefore, if you have a PDF that won't render well in the
other open source readers, GSView may do the job.

There is also PDFEdit, which is a GUI that allows you to rearrange
pages - useful for simple impositions. You can also do some really
minimal editing, but it's nowhere near as capable as Acrobat.

I do a lot of DTP work, so I need all of the above. My first choice is
Adobe Reader, followed by Okular, but if I need to do something special
sometimes one of the other readers is better for the job.