Keith M-D wrote:
I have downloaded OpenOffice to try but when I send an attachment or send a
letter from typed using the processor, I'm told that it cannot be opened by
the recipient. Is this usual or is their a setting within the program that I
may need to set?

I assume you're sending to people who use Microsoft Office. OpenOffice, by default, uses the ISO standard ODF file formats, which Microsoft refuses to support. Since those people cannot read ODF formated files, you'll have to save in Word format. There are a couple of ways to do that. One, when you use Save as, select Word format, from the drop down list. Also, ensure automatic file name extension is selected. The other method is to click on File > Send > E-mail as Microsoft Word.

You might also take this opportunity to introduce your friends to the ODF format and have them install OpenOffice or the Sun ODF plugin, which adds ODF support to Microsoft Office.

Sun ODF Plugin:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin