On 12/04/2008 10:21, Samir Roy wrote:
Hello,
I use Ooo Writer and Spreadsheets. I have downloaded version 2.4 and loaded in
my Desktop.
Recently, I am surprised to note that files created by me in Progm. Open Office are being saved in the format of " IBM Lotus Symphony".

I like my files to in the format of my choice - not converted
clandestinely by that Programme. I like to inform that
IBM Lotus Symphony 4 [Beta] is installed in my Desktop P C.
I would be glad to receive any guidance that you may provide.

With regards,
samir roy
India.

I assume you are using Windows. If not, ignore #1 below but come back here and tell us what you are using.

1. What makes you think OOo is *saving* your files in Lotus format? Are you *sure* that Windows is not opening them in Lotus because something has changed the Windows File Associations - possibly you installed new software? Windows decides how to open a file by looking it the file's "type" as defined by the "extension" part of the file's name (the ".doc", ".htm", etc.). Windows maintains a list that associates each type with a particular program. When you double click on a file's icon or name, Windows looks at the type, consults its list and uses whatever the list says is the relevant program. When you install OOo it asks if you want it to set itself as the "default program" for various different types. Other software does the same thing and so it's quite possible to get into a loop where program A sets itself as the default for file type X, then you install program B which set itslef as the default for X, then you upgrade A, or install C, which sets itself as the default for X and so on. This situation is very typical of the mess you can get into when you install multi-media programs - Quicktime, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, etc. Each want to take control of all the different multi media file types. However, you can change the associations to whatever you want them to be:
Once for each type of file:
1. Right click on a file of this type
2. Select Properties.
3. Click the Change button next to the name and icon of the current default program. 4. Browse to the program you want to have Windows use for this file type: swriter.exe, scalc.exe etc. for the OpenOffice components.
5. Tick (check) the "Always use this program ..." box
6. Click OK

2. If OOo really is saving your documents in Lotus format, go to the Writer (or Calc) menu Tools>Options>Load/Save>General. Near the bottom is a pair of drop down lists. The left hand one lets you choose the type of document, the right hand one lets you choose how that type is to be saved by default. Ensure that the your preferences are properly reflected in these lists.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England