As far as I remember, oVirt does come with an all in one configuration , but
looks like it was deprecated at 3.6, So can you try out the self hosted engine?

https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/engine/self-hosted-engine/

----- Original Message -----

From: "Michael Hall" <m...@mjhall.org>
To: users@ovirt.org
Sent: Thursday, 14 April, 2016 11:10:03 AM
Subject: [ovirt-users] Educational use case question

Hi

I am teaching IT subjects in TAFE (a kind of post-secondary technical college)
in Australia.

We are currently looking for a virtualisation platform that will allow students
to install and manage VMs via web interface.

VMware is being proposed but I am trying to get KVM and the RedHat ecosystem in
the lab as much as possible.

I have reasonable experience with running virt manager on CentOS 7, but oVirt
is new. I have it installed and running OK but am not sure how to proceed with
configuration.

I basically want to run a single physical server which will be the KVM host,
the ISO and data store, and the home of oVirt engine ... in other words a
complete oVirt-managed KVM virtualisation platform running on one physical
machine (32GB RAM). It will only ever need to run a handful of VMs with little
or no real data or load. Is this possible/feasible?

If possible/feasible, where should oVirt engine go ... on the host itself, or
into a VM guest?

The web interface is what is making oVirt an attractive option at this stage,
as students will be working from Windows clients on a corporate network. Do VM
GUI display well in the browser?

Thanks for any advice

Mike Hall