Be advised that after installation is done, you can manage VMs using the ovirt
webadmin.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Michael Hall" <m...@mjhall.org>
To: users@ovirt.org
Sent: Thursday, 14 April, 2016 12:19:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ovirt-users] Educational use case question

Thanks Julian, I'm in Mildura in VIC.

I was hoping for a "pure" web-based client console solution, not something like
the VMware desktop client.

Anyway, I'm not going to get too hung up on this. Even if we go VMware because
it "just works" and everyone's happy with it, we'll still do plenty of
CentOS/Fedora.

There is also a case to be made that our students are much more likely to
encounter VMware in a corporate environment that KVM. And Windows. And iPads.
Yawn.

Thanks

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Julian De Marchi < jul...@jdcomputers.com.au
> wrote:

Hey Michael,

> I am teaching IT subjects in TAFE (a kind of post-secondary technical
> college) in Australia.

Great news for this tech to be in tafe. I remember my time at Logan tafe got me
into linux.

We are currently looking for a virtualisation platform that will allow
students to install and manage VMs via web interface.

VMware is being proposed but I am trying to get KVM and the RedHat
ecosystem in the lab as much as possible.

I have reasonable experience with running virt manager on CentOS 7, but
oVirt is new. I have it installed and running OK but am not sure how to
proceed with configuration.

I basically want to run a single physical server which will be the KVM
host, the ISO and data store, and the home of oVirt engine ... in other
words a complete oVirt-managed KVM virtualisation platform running on one
physical machine (32GB RAM). It will only ever need to run a handful of VMs
with little or no real data or load. Is this possible/feasible?

If possible/feasible, where should oVirt engine go ... on the host itself,
or into a VM guest?

If it was me, I would do the engine install on the metal host itself. Will be a
lot easier for you, as long as you _know_ you will not be adding more metal
nodes to the oVirt setup.

I would also be looking into the "VM Pool" feature for your student. This will
give you a pool of VMs which after use can be reset to a default configuration.

The web interface is what is making oVirt an attractive option at this
stage, as students will be working from Windows clients on a corporate
network. Do VM GUI display well in the browser?

I have no experience using oVirt from Windows, but if there is a splice client
available I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

If you're local to QLD, I am more then happy to help in person.

--julian