On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:56 PM Yedidyah Bar David <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:42 PM Alex K <rightkickt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:01 PM Yedidyah Bar David <d...@redhat.com>
> wrote:

> IP address? I see that it is possible, I am just not sure if it is a
> straight forward process using ‘nmtui’ or editing the network config file.
> I have also ensured that everything was configured using the FQDN.

> updating your DNS then changing manually the engine IP from the ifcfg-ethx
> files then restart networking.
> as one will need to regenerate all certs from scratch (otherwise you will
> have issues with several services: imageio proxy, OVN, etc) and there is no
> such procedure documented/or supported.
> >>

> >> I wonder - how/what did you search for, that led you to this
> conclusion? Or perhaps you even found it explicitly written somewhere?
> >
> > Searching around and testing in LAB. I am testing 4.3 though not 4.4. I
> used engine-rename tool and although was able to change fqdn for hosts and
> engine, I observed that some certificates were left out (for example OVN
> was still complaining about certificate issue with subject name not
> agreeing with the new FQDN - checking/downloading the relevant cert was
> still showing the previous FQDN). I do not deem successful the renaming of
> not all services are functional.
>
> Very well.
>
> I'd find your above statement less puzzling if you wrote instead "...
> and the procedure for doing this is buggy/broken/incomplete"...

I'm sorry for the confusion.

> >> There actually is:
> >>

> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/administration_guide/#sect-The_oVirt_Engine_Rename_Tool
> >

> > At this same link it reads:
> > While the ovirt-engine-rename command creates a new certificate for the
> web server on which the Engine runs, it does not affect the certificate for
> the Engine or the certificate authority. Due to this, there is some risk
> involved in using the ovirt-engine-rename command, particularly in
> environments that have been upgraded from Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
> 3.2 and earlier. Therefore, changing the fully qualified domain name of the
> Engine by running engine-cleanup and engine-setup is recommended where
> possible.
> > explaining my above findings from the tests.
>
> No. These are two different things:
>
> 1. Bugs. All software has bugs. Hopefully we fix them over time. If
> you find one, please file it.
>
> 2. Inherent design (or other) problems - the software works as
> intended, but that's not what you want...

I do not intend to blame anyone. I really appreciate the work you all are
doing with this great project and understand that the community stream may
have bugs and rough edges or simply I might not be well informed.

> See also:
>
> https://www.ovirt.org/develop/networking/changing-engine-hostname.html
>

> >> That said, it indeed was somewhat broken for some time now - some fixed
> were only added quite recently, and are available only in current 4.4:
> >
> > This is interesting and needed for migration scenarios.
>
> Can you please elaborate?

I am thinking about a scenario where one will need to migrate a DC from one
FQDN to a completely new one (say I currently have host1.domain1.com,
host2.domain1.com, engine.domain1.com and want to switch to
host1.domain2.com, host2.domain2.com, engine.domain2.com) I am currently
facing one such need. I need to migrate existing DC from domain1.com to
domain2.com. Tried the engine-rename tool and changed IPs of engine and
hosts but observed the OVN certificate issue with 4.3. In case this is
sorted with 4.4 then I will see if this resolves my issue.

> If it's DR migration, perhaps you want storage export/import, as is
> done using the DR tool:
>

> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/disaster-recovery-guide/disaster-recovery-guide.html
>
> If you just want to use a new name, but do not need to completely
> forget the old one, you can add it using SSO_ALTERNATE_ENGINE_FQDNS.

I need to wipe out completely any reference to the old domain/FQDN.

> > Also I am wondering if I can change in some way the management network
> and make from untagged to VLAN tagged.
>
> Sorry, no idea. Perhaps start a different thread about this.

I will. thanx.