I can't quite remember.  I've just now checked all the full-fledged servers
I use regularly (qpidd, qdrouterd, artemis), and they all restrict to an
explicit list of mechs that excludes GSSAPI, as you suggest.

It's probably something I've recently run into only with test servers and
peer-to-peer client examples.  Cyrus SASL makes it somewhat painful to
configure them, so they usually don't have the explicit list.

Anyway, I agree that mitigates the problem considerably.  I know Andrew
happened to have this problem recently, which is why he raised the PR and
the topic.