On 1/30/24 14:08, jan.som...@dlr.de wrote:
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Frank Kühndel<frank.kuehn...@embedded-brains.de>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. Januar 2024 11:03
An: Sommer, Jan<jan.som...@dlr.de>;j...@rtems.org
Cc:dwaine.s.mol...@nasa.gov;users@rtems.org
Betreff: Re: AW: Rust on RTEMS

Hello Jan,

thanks for the info and all your efforts.

Are you planing to add a short "How to use Rust with RTEMS?" section to the
RTEMS user manual?

I am asking because I was thinking of writing a description on how to use Rust
with `#![no_std]` and `#![no_main]` into the user manual.
Basically the same text which I already attached to

     https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/users/2023-December/068914.html

Yet, because you are much ahead of me, does it still make sense for me to
put such a text into the manual (would it not be outdated by your approach
soon)?

Good question. I think your explanations are more general, while the things I
am working on will only be relevant for the Xilinx BSPs (until other
architectures are ported). So, I think it would still be good to have this in
the manual.

OK. I'll do.

What surprises me is that the porting of Rust libraries (i.e. std), Rust test framework and the ability to have a Rust main() function does depend so much on the particular BSP. I was thinking that these items must be adapted once to RTEMS and are then - at least mostly - independent of a particular processor and board.

How much effort is (very roughly) the porting to another BSP?
Or what needs to be done to adapt Rust to another BSP?

Greetings
Frank

--
embedded brains GmbH & Co. KG