On Sat, 2012-01-21 at 12:00 +0100, Martin Lehmann wrote:

> I'd also like to see Activesync support besides Caldav/Carddav in Sogo
> as nearly every mobile device has native support for it and it's the
> de-facto Sync standard.
>
> SyncML is sometimes nice but in our tests it was to unstable and had to
> many problems. It happens very often that all synced data appear not
> only once on the device but 2,3,4... times and after every following
> sync they appear one more time. This seems to happen if there was a sync
> error through a bad connection, which can happen very often, or
> something other.

<snip>

hi all,

yes -- me too. i would very much like to see activesysnc/z-push support
for sogo ...

in its current form, i believe that the sogo-sync z-push backend
communicates with sogo over caldav/carddav -- there could have been
other approaches  (mysql, syncml) but i think that caldav/carddav makes
the most sense as it will allow integration with any other correct
implementation of these protocols. Anyone else have thoughts about that?
does caldav and carddav scale as well as syncml or mysql? there were
activesync, thereby making it difficult to run across load balanced
servers ...

i'd like to propose a bounty to get the existing z-push backend up to
snuff with the latest version of IOS as well as the newest versions of
android.

is anyone listening to this thread capable of modifying the existing
backend? can you estimate the cost of getting sogo-sync "fully"
implemented? is *dav the right approach?

cheers