Am Wednesday 18 January 2012 20:16:08 schrieb Ludovic Marcotte:
> On 18/01/12 01:39, André Schild wrote:
> > I don't see why we should drop SyncML support, it's working after all
> > and a OPEN standard...
> > The Problem with Activesync stuff is always the potential license
> > question, what if MS will start claim license violations by Z-Push
> > (Justified or not does not matter) ?
>
> I fully agree here about the licensing violation.
>
> > There already exists a sogo backend for Z-Push, a few posts ago is a
> > link for download.
> > I will try to make it better available, so we can work on improving it.
>
> We could also import it on our source repository. We did this a while
> ago from the connector developed by Philipp Kewisch, but he soon after
> abandoned its development.
>
> > The one big advantage I see of ActiveSync is, that you have only one
> > setup to do for Email,Calendar,Contacts and Tasks and all traffic
> > flows via HTTP(S)
> >
> > There are several disadvantages of ActiveSync compared to native
> > Cardav/Caldav support:
> > - Only ONE Calendar, Contacts and Tasks can be synched
> > - Only one ActiveSync account is possible
> > - Mail handling is very limited
>
> Indeed but it should be compared with SyncML/Funambol, not CalDAV/CardDAV.
>
> I would still very much like to open a discussion about this - ie.,
> Funambol (SyncML) backend vs. Z-Push (ActiveSync) backend.
>
> To offer a very good mobile experience, I feel we'll have to make a
> choice and focus our efforts into one or the other. We chose Funambol
> many years ago. It might have been a good choice back then but it
> doesn't mean it's still the best.
>
> On my end (and speaking for myself only), there are some things I
> dislike about Funambol such as a worthless bug tracker, patches taking
> decades to get accepted (or even bugs getting acknowledged), Java-based
> (enough said here), requires more resources than all other SOGo
> components and requirements combined together and multiplied by your
> favorite factor of the day (must be greater than 2), almost impossible
> to package together with SOGo and more.
>
> What I mostly fear about Z-Push is that we'll revisit all the device
> synchronization bugs we had over the past few years with Funambol/SyncML
> and we'll have to hack around like we did. This is very valuable time
> and know-how here. Getting the Z-Push connector up and running can be
> done in a snap, but refining it will take some time. Also, having the
> Sword of Damocles on top of my head regarding the licensing agreement
> doesn't make me a happy, happy, joy man.

Hello,

despite the issues, I would very much like to see a z-push sogo or even a more
general z-push caldav/carddav backend.
In my experience, activesync support is more mature on the phones I
experimented with, than syncml support is. And almost any phone supports it.
While syncml works well in some cases, I rarely experienced really satisfying
syncml support. For example, despite the work put into the sogo funambol
connector, it still does not sync alarms back from a Nokia device to the
server correctly (probably bug 586).

If sogo switches to activesync, please keep support for syncing multiple
calendars and probably also multiple address books - this is a great feature,
in particular combined with the unique sync tags!

Best regards
Heiner