Am 07.02.2012 02:39, schrieb Jeroen Dekkers:
At Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:16:08 -0500,
Ludovic Marcotte wrote:
On 18/01/12 01:39, André Schild wrote:
There already exists a sogo backend for Z-Push, a few posts ago is a
link for download.
I will try to make it better available, so we can work on improving it.
We could also import it on our source repository. We did this a while
ago from the connector developed by Philipp Kewisch, but he soon after
abandoned its development.
One of the problems with the existing SOGo backend is that it uses an
old version of Z-Push that has a different license. The old version
was GPLv2 only, newer versions are AGPLv3 only. Because the SOGo
backend code doesn't have an explicit different license, we can only
assume that it's GPLv2 only and can't use this code with newer Z-Push
versions.

I don't think we want to maintain our own Z-Push fork forever and not
be able to use newer Z-Push features. Because of that and that I also
read that it was not production quality, I tried to see how hard it
would be to implement a new backend (without reading any of the old
code of course) that uses caldav-client-2.php from davical to talk to
the caldav server. I spend a few days working on it and got as far as
that I could sync my calendar items from the server to the phone. I've
just pushed the code to github in the case anyone would want to
continue with the effort:

https://github.com/dekkers/s-push/tree/caldav
Have you taken the 1.5.x branch or the upcomming 2.0 branch ?
Perhaps it would be good to directly go to the 2.x code.

The problem is that I guess that 2-3 weeks of development time is
needed to get two-way syncing of both calendar and contacts working
and most bugs have been ironed out. I currently don't have the free
time to do it and don't think there are enough people/companies
willing to donate money to fund the development (but if you are, speak
up here or in private, maybe I'm wrong and something like a
kickstarter crowdfunding of this feature is possible).

I could also spend time on that project.

Another sources for active sync informations can be found here

- http://wiki.horde.org/ActiveSync
It's based on a 1.x version of z-push but then heavily refactored/reworked.

- http://code.google.com/p/o-push/
  A java based active sync server

What I mostly fear about Z-Push is that we'll revisit all the device
synchronization bugs we had over the past few years with Funambol/SyncML
and we'll have to hack around like we did. This is very valuable time
and know-how here. Getting the Z-Push connector up and running can be
done in a snap, but refining it will take some time. Also, having the
Sword of Damocles on top of my head regarding the licensing agreement
doesn't make me a happy, happy, joy man.
If you're concerned about patents on ActiveSync then you should also
be concerned about the patents on the Exchange-Outlook protocol,
because MS also lists quite a lot of patents in that area. At least
they have been forced by the European Commission to disclose those
patents, so it is possible to check whether any patents are infringed.

I think you must be patent lawyer to understand these and see the implications they will give us...

As for the Exchange-Outlook protocol, there is inverse working on that, so it is not the same "problem" for me, and I think (hope) inverse has looked out for potential patent issues...

André