users-requ...@sogo.nu wrote on 22.11.2014 14:38:04:

> > On 22/11/2014 08:26, Kai-Uwe Rommel wrote:
> > Can I install SOGo now on my server as described above, without
Samba/LDAP?
> > I would like to avoid Samba and OpenLDAP because I will never needmore
than
> > a handful (or two) of user accounts on this server, even if I add a
few more
> > relatives and friends to it.
>
> If you don't want to use LDAP for authentication, you can use SQL.
> But right now, you have to use one of the two.

Thanks ... but I don't understand this yet. Sorry for being a complete
newbie
and asking so dumb questions:

What do you mean with "using SQL for authentication"? A SQL database is
something
for storing data and you need to authenticate in order to _access_ a SQL
database ...

I understand that SOGo needs a SQL database for storing calendar entries
and
address book content ...

I have read the SOGo manual but it explains almost nothing. No description
of
the architecture, how all those moving parts fit together ... nothing.

Is there hope for someone like me to find a way to understand how SOGo
works
and how I can use it? I should say that I am (in my job) a IBM Domino
expert
for 20 years and an expert for many other products, too. But I really have
problem getting a grip on products like SOGo when there is almost no
documentation
and only a group of some experts (those who wrote it ...) who only speak
in
some chinese dialect :-) about their product. I just don't have the time
to spend many hours analyzing the source code in order to understand how
it works ... I hope you understand what I mean. I am eager to learn
something
new and look beyond what I do in my job but I must be able to understand
a product from an admin's point of view within a (very) few hours.

Kai-Uwe Rommel

kai-uwe.rom...@ars.de
Telefon+Mobil +49 89 32468-120

ARS Computer und Consulting GmbH, http://www.ars.de
Ridlerstrasse 55, 80339 Muenchen, Deutschland

Application Development Services, Business Transformation Services, IT
Infrastruktur Services
Beratung und Vertrieb zu IBM Software, System x, POWER Systems, Storage
License Management Services, IBM Passport Advantage Lizenzierung

Handelsregister Muenchen, HRB 101829, USt-ID: DE 155 068 909
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Michael Arbesmeier, Kai-Uwe Rommel, Roland Schock,
Joachim Gucker