On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, R-Elists wrote:
Nonsense. I had to score this list -2000 just to keep it from
scoring so darn high that it was hitting the 'automatic'
rejection at the SMTP gate before any of my whitelists could
function.
Charles,
you would be better off properly whitelisting the SA mailing list...
depending on your situation, possibly to and from...

That -2000 score IS the 'whitelisting'. As mentioned in OP, my SMTP gateway is set to detect mail scoring very high (over 10) and issue an SMTP REJECT response, so that I don't have to deal with the bounce, or an overly cluttered spam file. The very rare false positive results in the sender seeing their rejection, so they see what to fix in their mail. Works well except for cases like the SA list where I trip over my own poison pill rules.... LOL

also possibly telling bayes to ignore those emails to and from as well...

Sadly, with such a diverse user base, I cannot use a single Bayes DB that would work well for all our users. My SMTP gateway (Mail Avenger) works best if mail is scanned for *all* recipients, and so it is not possible to use individual per-user Bayes. This is not an SA problem, but just the nature of the SMTP gateway. It has to decide to accept or reject the DATA transaction for ALL recipients. Once mail proves to be lower scoring than the 10 threshold, individual user whitelists and blacklists come into play, and other special per-user tests, but that merely results in mail being diverted to their 'spamtrap' folder. I do not 'bounce' mail once the SMTP gate is closed. :)

- Charles