On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:45:11 +0100
RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 15:20:27 +0200
> Ralph Seichter wrote:

> >   From: "John Doe <j...@doe.org>" <j...@thedoefamily.net>

> > is perfectly legitimate.

> but an unusual and rather silly thing to do.

As I mentioned, Yahoo Groups did something like this last time I checked.
They did it in order not to break DMARC, but still make the original sender
address visible.

> Most of what SpamAssassin targets is RFC compliant. It would be
> perfectly legitimate to score bogus addresses in the display name if
> it proved useful.

Yes, and spammers would move on to something like:

From: =?UTF-8?Q?John=20Doe=20=3Cjohn=E2=80=8B=40=E2=80=8Bdoe.org=3E?=
<j...@thedoefamily.net>

To answer the obvious question, (0xE2 0x80 0x8B) is UTF-8 for a
zero-width space, meaning the mail reader would display an apparent
email address but no sane parser would extract an email address.
Making a parser that could cope with all the tricks in the Unicode
toolbox would be very hard.

Regards,

Dianne.