Victor,

On 3/9/15 3:12 PM, Victor Rodriguez wrote:
> I have some ALREADY gzipped files that I'm trying to serve up.

See Mark's reply for how to do what you are trying to do. I'd like to
comment, here, though.

> I have the following in my web.xml.
>
> <mime-mapping> <extension>json</extension>
> <mime-type>application/gzip</mime-type> </mime-mapping>
>
> And, I have the following in my server.xml:
>
> <Context docBase="/path/to/already-gzipped-json"
> path="/already-gzipped-json" />
>
> From the command line, I can curl the files and gunzip them just
> fine, so they are coming across gzipped:
>
> curl http://localhost:8082/already-gzipped-json/fie.json | gunzip
> -
>
> However, requests coming from a web browser aren't handled
> correctly and aren't legible in the browser, and I believe it's
> because Content-Encoding: gzip is not in the response headers.

Nor should it be: the file is a gzipped file; it's not being sent in
"gzip" encoding. You are confusing the two concepts.

If you request a web resource, what you get is what's on the server's
disk. If that content is gzipped, you'll get a gzipped file. If it's
not, you don't.

compressed for transit, but that the original file is not
(necessarily) in gzipped format.