Am 30.09.26 um 17:43 schrieb James H. H. Lampert via users:
On 9/29/26 11:45 PM, Olaf Kock wrote:
. . .
I'll have to say: I'm in favor of some way of removing the default apps
. . .

We do that every time we update Tomcat on a customer box, before we even start the new Tomcat. Now understand, this is the procedure for an IBM Midrange box, in which Tomcat lives entirely in a single directory, but be that as it may:

I did it a similar way when I was installing my own tomcat - under ArchLinux it was a first to use the packaged installation, expecting it to be updated with the regular OS updates, and it is. With the one caveat that the default webapps are coming with every update and overwrite my installed app that I've deployed as ROOT.

I'm aware that the manager app is not required, personally I haven't used it in >15 years, but I had the impression that it is quite popular in some circles. That's why I've mentioned it, preempting the need for someone to protest. Given the odds to pick the same name for a custom app, the odds for ROOT are certainly orders of magnitude above something called "manager" or even "docs". And tomcat's default ROOT has no real business value other than providing a home page, no code that anybody could rely on, and a big chance to conflict with a custom app.

All of this is unnecessary when the proper deployment steps are in place, and they're well documented in Tomcat's docs.

But it'd help tremendously to do the right thing from the start, not only after getting hit with disaster for the first time...

And I can tell you: Just using the OS's built-in tomcat, that gets updated automatically, is quite a nice experience in general. The only time it wasn't was recently when there was a regression with jsvc...

Olaf



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to