A wonderful discussion indeed. Thanks everyone for sharing more insights on how 
these applications are used.

Goes on to prove that Tomcat is one of the most important  open-source software 
and users have their own ways/constraints to use Tomcat, especially the default 
web applications.

I agree that manager app is the most helpful of all.

However, I still lean towards splitting and independently hosting these default 
applications , that users can download as needed. I think it’s reasonable to 
push the onus of maintaining these applications to the users and not the Tomcat 
lead maintainers.

Understandably, it’s not an easy decision to make though.

Thanks,
Amit

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
________________________________
From: James H. H. Lampert via users <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, 01 October 2026 10:32:42
To: Tomcat Users List <[email protected]>
Cc: James H. H. Lampert <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Bundling default web apps

On 10/1/26 5:05 AM, Olaf Kock wrote:

> I'm aware that the manager app is not required, personally I haven't
> used it in >15 years, but I had the impression that it is quite popular
> in some circles.

It's integral to the workflow on the customer boxes we manage: whenever
there's an update to the webapp context that provides a browser
interface to our product, all we have to do is go into Manager, shut
down and remove the context, and upload the new one. If it requires
tweaks to connect properly to the back-end of the product, it's a simple
matter to shut it down from Manager, make the tweaks from the command
line, and then bring it back up from Manager.

All without leaving the comfort of my office.

--
JHHL

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to