On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:37:17PM +0200, Rainer Jung wrote:
> >(...)

> >>The VirtualHost section was created by the ApacheConfig option in
> >>Tomcat.
> >
> >Trivial question:  are you sure, that your worker name is correct
> >("worker1" vs. "ajp13").  I am curious, why Tomcat-generated
> >configuration has different worker name.

> The auto configuration feature of Tomcat should be deprecated. It is of
> no real use except for a trivial starter configuration. It *always* uses
> a single worker named "ajp13".
>
> Because of this feature (I guess "because") mod_jk has a builtin worker
> named "ajp13", which even if no worker named "ajp13" is explicitely
> defined tries to contact localhost at 8009 if the a URL is mounted to a
> worker named "ajp13". Legacy stuff.
>
> Nevertheless, although the config the OP uses is not sufficient for
> prime time, it should work. I didn't yet have the time to compare, where
> exactly the log lines stop compared with a working request.

Hello,

The evolution of this process is as follows.  I am updating an Apache
module with some additional functionality.  This module is installed
in two places, one an Apache 2.0 server and the other an IBM httpd
server.  In both instances, Apache is serving pages in front of a
Tomcat server.  Additionally, the module needs to run in multiple
virtual hosts.  Therefore, I have to recreate the production design
locally, in order to be able to install my module and test my new
additions.

To install mod_jk, I resorted to my good friend Google, and used a
tutorial to set up the connector.  In that tutorial, the method used
was to create a properties file (workers.properties) which set up the
worker `worker1'.

Failing to get that process working, I fell back to the ApacheConfig
directive, given the possibility that I might be leaving out something
simple yet critical in my `hand-rolled' method.  I just changed the
worker name back to `worker1' because I didn't want to keep fiddling
with the conf files, and `worker1' was already in place.  Really, I
just used ApacheConfig to get something to compare to my existing
setup.

I really appreciate your taking time to look at this.  It is such a
huge time-waster for me.  I'm spending more time setting up the test
environment than on my code.

I'm installing a clean version of Apache, built from httpd.apache.org
sources, in /usr/local in order to get around all the weird (IMO)
configuration for the version installed in Ubuntu by default.  At this
point, I've fiddled so many things I've lost track of where I'm at.
Sometimes, when you can't get something to work, it's best to return
to first principles.

Thanks.

mp

--
Michael Powe            mich...@trollope.org            Naugatuck CT USA

And your crybaby whiny opinion would be.....?