On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:52:17AM -0400, Michael Powe wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 02:28:52AM +0200, André Warnier wrote:
> > Michael Powe wrote:
>
> > >To install mod_jk, I resorted to my good friend Google, and used a
> > >tutorial to set up the connector.  In that tutorial, the method used
> > >was to create a properties file (workers.properties) which set up the
> > >worker `worker1'.
> > >I'm installing a clean version of Apache, built from httpd.apache.org
> > >sources, in /usr/local in order to get around all the weird (IMO)
> > >configuration for the version installed in Ubuntu by default.  At this
> > >point, I've fiddled so many things I've lost track of where I'm at.
> > >Sometimes, when you can't get something to work, it's best to return
> > >to first principles.
>
> > I will not often say this, but I believe your problems may stem from the
> > above, and that you would do better by using the pre-packaged versions of
> > things (except Tomcat)
>
> > 1) it is hard to judge the correctness of a tutorial found on Google.
> > The mod_jk instructions on the mod_jk pages of the Tomcat website are
> > pretty good, and they are at least accurate and up-to-date.
>
> True.  One of them was the `quick start for the impatient' on the
> mod_jk doc page.
>
> > 2) the standard Apache packages for Debian and Ubuntu are quite good, and a
> > lot easier to install and maintain than working everything out from scratch.
> > I suggest the following order :
> > apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
> > (then Tomcat, but for Tomcat, I suggest installing it from the Tomcat site
> > distribution)
> > apt-get install apache2
> > apt-get install libapache2-mod-jk
> > (the last 2 work out of the box and take max. 3 minutes altogether)

Well, it never rains but it pours.  After doing `sudo apt-get purge
apache2':

po...@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install apache2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  apache2-mpm-worker
  apache2 apache2-mpm-worker
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 221 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/3,846B of archives.
After this operation, 119kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Selecting previously deselected package apache2-mpm-worker.
(Reading database ... 166454 files and directories currently
installed.)
Unpacking apache2-mpm-worker (from
.../apache2-mpm-worker_2.2.14-5ubuntu8_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package apache2.
Unpacking apache2 (from .../apache2_2.2.14-5ubuntu8_i386.deb) ...
Setting up apache2-mpm-worker (2.2.14-5ubuntu8) ...
No apache MPM package installed

Now, the Apache installation is completely broken and will not install
properly.  That's the problem with these package systems:  no error
messages to indicate what might have gone wrong and nontrivial to
figure it out.  We'll see what they say over in ubuntu forums.  I
could shoot myself or go to bed.  I choose bed.

Thanks.

mp

--
Michael Powe            mich...@trollope.org            Naugatuck CT USA

"He speaks well, he's well-read, but he's an idiot."
  -- N.D. Kalu, describing Rush Limbaugh