Michael Powe wrote:

To install mod_jk, I resorted to my good friend Google, and used a
tutorial to set up the connector.  In that tutorial, the method used
was to create a properties file (workers.properties) which set up the
worker `worker1'.
I'm installing a clean version of Apache, built from httpd.apache.org
sources, in /usr/local in order to get around all the weird (IMO)
configuration for the version installed in Ubuntu by default.  At this
point, I've fiddled so many things I've lost track of where I'm at.
Sometimes, when you can't get something to work, it's best to return
to first principles.

I will not often say this, but I believe your problems may stem from the above, and that you would do better by using the pre-packaged versions of things (except Tomcat)
.
1) it is hard to judge the correctness of a tutorial found on Google.
The mod_jk instructions on the mod_jk pages of the Tomcat website are pretty good, and they are at least accurate and up-to-date.

2) the standard Apache packages for Debian and Ubuntu are quite good, and a lot easier to install and maintain than working everything out from scratch.
I suggest the following order :
apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
(then Tomcat, but for Tomcat, I suggest installing it from the Tomcat site
distribution)
apt-get install apache2
apt-get install libapache2-mod-jk
(the last 2 work out of the box and take max. 3 minutes altogether)

Then you just need to add a "workers.properties" file and your JkMount mappings, and you'll be up and running in no time.

The "weird configuration" things you are mentioning for Apache, are quite easy to follow once you get over the initial surprise, and are actually a clever way to facilitate enabling/disabling modules and virtual hosts.
I offer to explain summarily, maybe off-list, if you have trouble there.

This all does not mean that it would not be interesting to find out where your current problem is. But as Konstantin and/or Rainer mentioned, I believe the first thing would be to get out of the auto-configure thing. I do not believe that this part has been well maintained since quite a while now.